Oversight Agencies

Quick Index:

Health care facilities in California are licensed, regulated, inspected, and/or certified by a number of public agencies at the State and federal levels. These agencies have separate, yet sometimes overlapping, jurisdictions. These agencies are responsible for ensuring long-term care facilities comply with state and federal laws and regulations.

California Department of Public Health (CDPH)

CDPH - Licensing & Certification Division is responsible for licensing Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNFs) and providing inspections to ensure compliance with licensing standards. CDPH, Licensing and Certification Division has District Offices throughout the state.

Contact CDPH, Health Facilities Consumer Information System:

Phone: (916) 558-1784

CDPH - Aide and Technician Certification Section (ATCS) has primary responsibility in the certification of Nurse Assistants, Home Health Aides and/or Hemodialysis Technicians.

Contact ATCS:

Please note that the Interactive Voice Response Unit (IVRU) is an automated phone number (916) 327-2445, which accommodates a heavy volume of calls. You may leave a voicemail with the message center at (916) 552-8811. It is preferable to FAX information to the CNA/HHA/Certification Unit, FAX (916) 552-8785, or send an email to the CNA email address cna@cdph.ca.gov

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 997416, MS 3301
Sacramento, CA 95899-7377

Back to top

California Department of Social Services (DSS)

DSS - Community Care Licensing Division (CCLD) is responsible for licensing Residential Care Facilities and providing inspections to ensure compliance with licensing standards. CCLD has district offices throughout the state.

Contact DSS-CCLD:

Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing Division
Statewide Adult & Senior Care Program Office

744 P Street, MS 8-3-90
Sacramento, CA 95814

Phone: (916) 657-2592
Fax: (916) 653-9335

Back to top

Medical Board of California

The Medical Board of California is responsible for the licensing and regulation of physicians and surgeons and certain allied health care professions.

Contact the Medical Board of California:

The Medical Board of California
2005 Evergreen Street, Suite 1200
Sacramento, CA 95815

California Toll-Free line
Phone: (916) 263-2382
Fax: (916) 263-2944

Back to top

California State Board of Pharmacy

The California State Board of Pharmacy is a consumer protection agency that regulates the individuals and businesses that dispense, compound, provide, store and distribute prescription drugs and devices and pharmaceutical services to the public or to other health care practitioners, in compliance with state and federal law.

Contact the California State Board of Pharmacy:

The Board of Pharmacy
1625 North Market Blvd, Suite N219
Sacramento, CA 95834

Phone: (916) 574-7900
Fax: (916) 574-8617

Back to top

California Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA)

The California Department of Consumer Affairs helps consumers learn how to protect themselves from unscrupulous and unqualified individuals and protects professionals from unfair competition by unlicensed practitioners.

Contact the Department of Consumer Affairs:

Department of Consumer Affairs
Consumer Information Division
1625 North Market Blvd., Suite N112
Sacramento, CA 95834

Phone: (800) 952-5210

DCA-Board of Registered Nursing (BRN) regulates the practice of registered nursing and certified advanced practice nurses. The Board exists to protect the health and safety of consumers and promote quality registered nursing care in California.

Contact the Board of Registered Nursing:

Physical Address
Board of Registered Nursing
1747 North Market Boulevard, Suite 150
Sacramento, CA 95834

Mailing Address
Board of Registered Nursing
P.O. Box 944210
Sacramento, CA 94244-2100
Phone: (916) 322-3350

Hearing impaired individuals can call their TDD number:(800) 326-2297
24-Hour Automated Voice Verification: (800) 838-6828


DCA-Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians (BVNPT) protects the consumer from unprofessional and unsafe licensed vocational nurses (LVNs) and psychiatric technicians (PTs). Public protection is the highest priority of the Board in exercising its licensing, regulatory and disciplinary functions.

Mailing Address:

Board of Vocational Nursing & Psychiatric Technicians
2535 Capitol Oaks Drive Suite 205
Sacramento, CA 95833
Telephone (916) 263-7827
FAX (916) 263-7857

Phone: (916) 263-7800

To file a complaint against an LVN or PT, contact the Enforcement Division at (916) 263-7827; FAX (916) 263-7857, or visit BVNPT-Enforcement. http://www.bvnpt.ca.gov/enforcement/file_a_complaint.shtml

Back to top

Updated May 29, 2014

Tools & Resources

Related Links

Telephone Icon
Need Help?
If you are within California and are looking for services
call 1-800-510-2020
If you are outside California
call 1-800-677-1116