Senior Companion Program
Senior Companion volunteers meet critical community needs and touch the lives of adults who need extra assistance to live independently in their own homes or communities. They serve frail older adults, adults with disabilities, those with terminal illnesses, and offer respite for caregivers.
Senior Companion volunteers serve in a variety of settings: private homes, skilled nursing facilities, private/non-profit healthcare agencies, adult day care centers, nutrition sites, multipurpose senior centers, and other facilities that serve the elderly.
Senior Companion volunteers assist their adult clients in basic but essential ways:
- Provide respite for caregivers;
- Report physical or emotional changes to a care management team, doctor, family member, etc.;
- Offer companionship and friendship to isolated and frail adults;
- Assist with simple chores;
- Assist with grocery shopping and meal preparation;
- Read to the visually impaired;
- Prepare correspondence for the physically challenged;
- Provide transportation to medical and other appointments; and
- Add richness to their clients' lives.
In many instances, the Senior Companion volunteer is an integral part of a care management team and is trained to alert doctors and/or family members of potential health problems.
Senior Companion volunteers must be 60 years of age or older and meet the established income eligibility guidelines
- not to exceed 125% of the poverty level ($1,064 per month/$12,770 annual),
- or in some high cost areas 135% ($1,149 per month/$13,785).
- Senior Companion volunteers must be willing to serve between 15 to 40 hours per week.
Senior Companion volunteers know they are making significant contributions to their client's lives, and in return they receive the following:
- Pre-service and monthly training sessions;
- Reimbursement for transportation;
- Some meals during service;
- An annual physical;
- Accident and liability insurance while on duty; and
- A modest, tax-free stipend ($2.65 per hour) to offset the cost of volunteering.
Click to increase the text size. Restore Text
Click to restore original text size. Reduce Text
Click to decrease the text size.