Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program-Education (SNAP-Ed)
The goal of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Education (SNAP-Ed) is to improve the likelihood that persons eligible for SNAP, known as CalFresh in California, will choose physically active lifestyles and make healthy food choices that are consistent with the current Dietary Guidelines for Americans and the US Department of Agriculture's food guidance.
The California Department of Aging (CDA) will administer a statewide SNAP-Ed program that promotes nutrition education and obesity prevention interventions among low-income older adults. SNAP-Ed interventions will be provided by participating Area Agencies on Aging at qualified Older Americans Act (OAA) Title IIIC Congregate Nutrition Programs.
SNAP-Ed interventions will provide nutrition education, and obesity prevention activities based on approved evidence-based health promotion programs. Specific key messaging will include:
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables, at least half your grains whole grains, and switch to fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products;
- Increase physical activity and reduce time spent in sedentary behaviors as part of a healthy lifestyle;
- Maintain appropriate calorie balance.
Resources and Tools
- California SNAP-Ed Integrated Curricula List (FFY 2017-2019)
- FFY 2016 - California Department of Aging: Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program-Education (SNAP-Ed) Approved Evidence-Based Curriculum and Supplemental Materials
- Site Change Process
- SNAP-Ed Site Eligibility
- SNAP-Ed Local State and Implementing Agency Contact List
Laws, Regulations and PoliciesSNAP-Ed Guidance
- Clarification on Site Duplication - Memo
- Role of County Nutrition Action Plan Collaboratives in the Creation of the California SNAP-Ed State Plan for FFY 2015 - Memo
- SNAP-Ed Contract and Budget Display Federal Fiscal Year 2016 PM 15-14(P)
- SNAP-Ed SNAP-Ed Contract Amendment #1 State Fiscal Year 2014-15 PM 15-06(P)
- SNAP-Ed Contract and Budget Display State Fiscal Year 2014-15 PM 14-12(P)
- SNAP-Ed Project Synopses Instructions PM 14-10(p)
SNAP-Ed Local Integrated Work Plans by County
- SNAP-Ed State Plan Federal Fiscal Year 2016 - (see County Work Plans and Budgets beginning page 551)
SNAP-Ed State Plan and Needs Assessment