Under an interagency agreement between the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) and the California Department of Aging (CDA), CDA administers the CBAS Program and certifies providers for participation in CBAS. Prior to participation as CBAS Medi-Cal waiver providers, CBAS providers must be licensed to operate adult day health care (ADHC) centers by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) .
The information below illustrates the types of onsite surveys conducted by CDA in Fiscal Year 2016-17, and the types and frequency of citations from those visits.
CDA conducts the following types of onsite certification surveys:
CBAS Onsite Survey
- Certification Renewal - at least every 24 months
- Follow-Up - between renewal visits to ensure a plan to correct deficiencies is implemented
- Reconsideration - revisit post Certification Renewal where significant non-compliance is identified
- First Quarter - visit within 90 days of certifying a new provider
Citations are based on record reviews, observations, and/or interviews during onsite surveys and are categorized as follows:
- Repeat - counted if the same citation was recorded during the previous onsite survey.
- Health and Safety - findings that demonstrate non-compliance with specified laws and regulations, the scope and severity of which demonstrate harm or potential harm to a participant and/or are at a pattern level across multiple disciplines and/or participants.
- Administrative - findings that demonstrate non-compliance with specified laws and regulations, but that do not rise in scope or severity to a Health and Safety level. For example, isolated and/or less consequential instances such as failures to provide complete documentation.
|Types of Citations||#||As Percentage of Total Citations|
|Health and Safety||260||38%|
Most Frequently Cited Findings
|1||W&I Code,Section 54425(a)(4)||Failure to maintain complete participant records||69|
|2||Title 22, CCR,Section 14529(d)(2)||IPC not developed to meet participant need||68|
|3||Title 22, CCR,Section 54323(a)(8)||Failure to liaison with PHCP||52|
|4||W&I Code,Section 14552(a)||Failure to meet licensing requirements||41|
|5||W&I Code,Section 14530(a)||Services not provided||39|
|6||W&I Code, Section 54323(a)(6)(A)(B)(C)(D)||Failure to monitor, administer, and record medication||27|
|7||Title 22, CCR,Section 54329(a)(7)||Social worker failed to liaison with family||24|
|8||Title 22, CCR,Section 54401(a)(7)||Failure to provide appropriate staff to meet participant needs||22|
|9||Title 22, CCR,Section 54439(b)||Confidentiality of participant data||22|
|10||W&I Code,Section 54207(a)(1)||Failure to obtain medical assessment and/or TB clearance||19|
Source: CDA CBAS Database, Citation Statistics and Post-Survey Statistics Reports, 07/01/16-06/30/17, run date 09/22/17.
- Services By County
- Programs & Services
- Where To Call For Local Services
- Additional Resources
- California Health and Human Services Agency
- Contact CDA
Community-Based Adult Services (CBAS)
1300 National Drive, Suite 200
Sacramento, CA 95834-1992
Phone: (916) 419-7545
Fax: (916) 928-2507