Under an interagency agreement between the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) and the California Department of Aging (CDA), CDA administers the CBAS Program and certifies providers for participation in CBAS. Prior to participation as CBAS Medi-Cal waiver providers, CBAS providers must be licensed to operate adult day health care (ADHC) centers by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) .
The information below illustrates the types of onsite surveys conducted by CDA in Fiscal Year 2015-16, and the types and frequency of citations from those visits.
CDA conducts the following types of onsite certification surveys:
CBAS Onsite Survey
- Certification Renewal - at least every 24 months
- Follow-Up - between renewal visits to ensure a plan to correct deficiencies is implemented
- Reconsideration - revisit post Certification Renewal where significant non-compliance is identified
- First Quarter - visit within 90 days of certifying a new provider
Citations are based on record reviews, observations, and/or interviews during onsite surveys and are categorized as follows:
- Repeat - counted if the same citation was recorded during the previous onsite survey.
- Health and Safety - findings that demonstrate non-compliance with specified laws and regulations, the scope and severity of which demonstrate harm or potential harm to a participant and/or are at a pattern level across multiple disciplines and/or participants.
- Administrative - findings that demonstrate non-compliance with specified laws and regulations, but that do not rise in scope or severity to a Health and Safety level. For example, isolated and/or less consequential instances such as failures to provide complete documentation.
|Types of Citations||#||As Percentage of Total Citations|
|Health and Safety||153||24%|
Most Frequently Cited Findings
|1||W&I Code, Section 14529(d)(2)||IPC developed does not meet participant need||68|
|2||Title 22, CCR, Section 54323(a)(8)||Failure to liaison with Personal Health Care Provider||49|
|3||Title 22, CCR, Section 54425(a)(4)||Incomplete participant records||47|
|4||W&I Code, Section 14530(a)||Services not provided or substantiated in written record||47|
|5||W&I Code, Section 14552(a)||Standards for Certification and Licensing not met||41|
|6||W&I Code, Section 14529(d)(1)(3)||Incomplete reassessments||33|
|7||Title 22, CCR, Section 54401(a)(7)||Failure to provide appropriate staff to meet participant needs||22|
|8||Title 22, CCR, Section 54411(a)(8)||Failure to provide timely and/or accurate reports||19|
|9||Title 22, CCR, Section 54207(a)(1)||Incomplete information obtained from Personal Health Care Provider||18|
|10||W&I Code, Section 14529(d)(3)||Reassessments not done, late, not signed, etc.||18|
Source: CDA CBAS Database, Citation Statistics and Post-Survey Statistics Reports, 07/01/15-06/30/16, run date 07/28/16.
- Services By County
- Programs & Services
- Where To Call For Local Services
- Additional Resources
- California Health and Human Services Agency
- Contact CDA
Community-Based Adult Services (CBAS)
1300 National Drive, Suite 200
Sacramento, CA 95834-1992
Phone: (916) 419-7545
Fax: (916) 928-2507