The State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) provides free, in-depth, one-on-one insurance counseling and assistance to .Medicare beneficiaries, their families, friends, and caregivers. SHIPs operate in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands and are grant-funded projects of the federal U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, U.S. Administration for Community Living.
For Help Outside California
State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP)
The National Association of Area Agencies on Aging Eldercare Locator is funded by the Administration for Community Living and was established in 1991. The call center (800-677-1116) is open five days a week, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Time (6 a.m. to 5 p.m. California time) and serves as an essential, trusted gateway to help older adults, caregivers and aging/health professionals navigate the maze of aging programs and services, as well as to assist them in identifying and accessing the resources that match their needs best.
National Senior Medicare Patrol
The National Senior Medicare Patrol and local Senior Medicare Patrols (SMPs) empower and assist Medicare beneficiaries, their families, and caregivers to prevent, detect, and report health care fraud, errors, and abuse through outreach, counseling, and education. SMPs are grant-funded projects of the federal U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), U.S. Administration for Community Living.
- Services By County
- Programs & Services
- Where To Call For Local Services
- Additional Resources
- California Health and Human Services Agency
- Contact CDA
- Contact HICAP at 1-800-434-0222 or use our list of counties
- Basic Medicare coverage
- Choosing a prescription drug plan
- How to become a HICAP counselor
- Finding a speaker to talk about Medicare
- Making an appointment to discuss long-term care insurance
- Reporting Medicare fraud and abuse
- Switching from a Medicare Advantage Plan to Original Medicare
- My Medicare Advantage plan
- Finding a doctor who is part of my CalMediConnect plan
- Programs offered by the Department of Aging
- Help for someone who doesn’t live in California
California HICAP is part of a national network of State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (SHIP). SHIP is a Federal Administration for Community Living (ACL) grant program that helps states enhance and support a network of local programs, staff, and volunteers. HICAP is supported by the California Department of Aging with financial assistance through a grant from the Administration for Community Living.