Elderly Nutrition ProgramQuick Index:
CDA administers the Older Americans Act Elderly Nutrition Program (ENP) services through the area agencies on aging and their service providers. The ENP helps older adults remain independent and in their communities. Meals must meet nutritional standards by incorporating the Dietary Guidelines for Americans and providing a minimum of one-third of the Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs). Meals must also meet the Nutrition Services Incentive Program (NSIP) requirements.
The Congregate Nutrition Program (Title IIIC-1) addresses dietary inadequacy and social isolation among individuals aged 60 and older. The Program provides nutrition education, nutrition risk screening and, in some Planning and Service Areas, nutrition counseling. The program targets older individuals with the greatest economic or social need, with particular attention given to low-income minority older individuals and older individuals living in rural areas. The program encourages the use of volunteers and gives all participants the opportunity to contribute to the meal cost.
The Home-Delivered Nutrition Program (Title IIIC-2) provides nutritious meals, nutrition education, and nutrition risk screening to individuals 60 years of age or over who are homebound by reason of illness or disability, or who are otherwise isolated. Program goals are targeted to the reduction of social isolation and the promotion of better health through nutrition. Most home-delivered meal programs provide their clients with a hot meal five days a week delivered by staff or volunteer drivers. In addition, nutrition education is provided and nutrition counseling may be available.
- Older Americans Act Part C-Nutrition Service
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans
- Dietary Reference Intakes
- National Aging Program Information System (NAPIS) and State Program Report (SPR) - Reporting requirements for Title III and VII (May 2010)
- Title 22 - Table of Contents for Elderly Nutrition Program
- Title 22 CA Code of Regulations - Elderly Nutrition Program
- California Retail Food Code
- California Retail Food Code: Grandfather Clause for Pre-exisiting, Non-conforming structures & Equipment
- CDA Standard Agreement
- The CDA Service Category and Data Dictionary is the governing document which defines each Title IIIB Service Category (June 2011)
- PM 10-20(P) Title III C-1 Meals in Adult Day Health Care Programs, Adult Day Programs and Elderly Housing Facilities
- PM 10-09(P) Nutrition Services Incentive Program Allocation Methodology Clarification
- PM 10-08(P) Changes to the California Retail Food Code
- PM 10-07(P) New Service Categories and Data Dictionary. Revisions to the California Aging Reporting System Effective July 1, 2010
- PM 07-13(P) Elderly Nutrition Program Meals Compliance with Older Americans Act
- PM 06-11(P) Title III-C1 Meals for Adult Day Health Care Centers
Resources & Tools
- Nutrition Program Resources
- Nutrition InfoGrams