• About ADRCs for Consumers

    Finding assistance for older adults and people with disabilities can be overwhelming. Aging and Disability Resource Connections (ADRCs) may help by providing information and connections to the right resources for you or your loved one. Currently there are seven designated ADRC’s in California. They are listed as follows:

    If you live in one of the above counties you can contact your local ADRC for assistance. If there is not a web site for an ADRC in your county, below are other resources you may contact for information and support:

    ADRCs and the partner agencies listed above offer the following services:

    • Benefits counseling
    • Assessments to determine what services you may need
    • Referrals to resources that provide housing, transportation, day care services, in home services, assisted living, skilled nursing centers, and assistive technologies
    • Other resources to help you or your loved one to stay in the community
  • Caregiver Resources

    As a caregiver, you may be looking for information and resources to assist you with caring for a family member, or a friend. Below are some helpful hints.

    Learn as much as you can about your family member or friend’s illness and how you may be able to help them. The more you know, the more effective you will be, and the better you will feel about your efforts.

    Know your limits. Be realistic about how much of your time and yourself you can give. Set clear limits, and communicate those limits to professionals, family members, and other people involved. Seek outside help. Don’t go it alone. Reward yourself with frequent respite breaks.

    Accept your feelings. Caregiving can trigger a host of difficult emotions including anger, fear, resentment, guilt, helplessness and grief. As long as you don’t compromise the well-being of the care receiver, allow yourself to feel what you feel. Family meetings can help everyone to express feelings and explore ways to pitch in together.

    Confide in others. Talk to people about what you feel and try to not keep your emotions bottled up. Caregiver support groups are invaluable, and trusted friends and family members can help too. You may also benefit from seeing a therapist or counselor. The key is not to isolate yourself.

    Caregiver Resource Centers provide:

    • Specialized Information and Referral - Referrals and advice related to caregiver stress, support and community resources.
    • Family Consultation and Care Planning - Trained staff consultations to assess needs of persons with cognitive impairment and their families, explore care options, and develop a course of action.
    • Respite Care - Financial assistance for temporary in-home support, adult day care services, short-term or weekend care and transportation.
    • Short-Term Counseling - Individual, family and group sessions with licensed counselors to offer emotional support to caregivers.
    • Support Groups - Online or in-person meetings to share experiences and ideas to ease the stress of caregiving.
    • Professional Training - Workshops on long-term care, patient management, public policy, legal and financial issues for health and service providers.
    • Legal and Financial Consultation - Experienced attorneys consult on Powers of Attorney, Advance Directives, estate and financial planning, conservatorships and other matters.
    • Education - Special workshops on topics such as cognitive disorders, dealing with dementia, long-term care planning and stress management to help caregivers cope with day-to-day concerns.

    Find a Caregiver Resource Center in your area.

  • Counseling

    ADRC’s also offer counseling services for caregivers who may need assistance with an action plan specific to the needs of the individual needing services. Please see below for a list of ADRCs:

    If you live in one of the above counties you can contact your local ADRC for assistance. If there is not a web site for an ADRC in your county, below are other resources you may contact for information and support:

  • Nursing Home-to-Home Transition Support

    A core service provided by ADRC and partner organizations is assistance for people who may want to leave a nursing home and return to home, or other community living after a nursing facility or hospital stay. The US Supreme Court’s Olmstead Decision clarified that a person can choose to receive long-term services and supports (LTSS) in the “least restrictive” setting possible, meaning the setting that provides for the most freedom of choice. California provides for this assistance through ADRC partner organizations.

  • California Community Transitions (CCT)

    The California Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) works with local and ADRC partner organizations to identify people who have lived in a nursing facility for 90 consecutive days or longer and would like to return to a community or home setting. Facility stays for short-term rehabilitation services usually do not count towards this 90 day period.

    These local organizations send transition coordinators to work directly with interested individuals and their caregivers to assist in their transition from a facility to a community setting of their choice. Find transition assistance in your area.

    Or, for more information about the CCT program, contact:

    Department of Health Care Services

    Phone: (916) 552-9105,


  • Returning Home after a Nursing Facility Stay

    Skilled Nursing Facilities are required to ask all residents if they would like to to return to a community home of their choice. (California Welfare and Institutions Code Section 14126.028) If you need assistance about your rights concerning relocation, you may contact California’s Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program.

    You may also find other organizations who can assist you with your request to relocate on DHCS website.

  • Returning Home after a Hospital Stay

    California Senate Bill 675 (statutes of 2015) now requires hospitals to allow patients to designate a “family caregiver” such as a relative, friend, or neighbor to be notified when a discharge order is written so they may assist with discharge planning. (Health and Safety Code Section 1262.5(d))

    You can contact your hospital discharge planner and your primary care doctor for more information, or you may contact an ADRC near you:

    If there is not a web site for an ADRC in your county, below are other resources you may contact for information and support:

Related Links

Telephone Icon
Need Help?
If you are within California and are looking for services
call 1-800-510-2020
If you are outside California
call 1-800-677-1116