Senior Medicare Patrol
Senior Medicare Patrol
The Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP) in California protects people from Medicare-related fraud, error and abuse. It also helps build community partnerships to prevent Medicare and Medi-Cal (Medicaid) fraud, error, and abuse.
One example of Medicare fraud would be billing for services that were never provided or received. For example, your Medicare number could be used to bill Medicare for services and supplies you didn't need or want, services and supplies your doctor did not order, services and supplies you can't even use, and services and supplies you did not receive. There are also certain marketing practices that are considered Medicare fraud.
Medicare Fraud Toolkit
The Medicare Fraud Toolkit to Assist Consumers in Protecting Their Medicare Benefits from Fraud and Abuse provides additional information and resources about preventing Medicare fraud and abuse.CALL SENIOR MEDICARE PATROL 1(855) 613-7080 TO REPORT FRAUD
California Senior Gateway
The California Senior Gateway is an inter-agency collaborative intended to provide seniors, their families, and caregivers with information on such topics as:
- avoiding and reporting abuse and neglect
- preventing fraud, financial abuse and common scams
- health care information
- your Rights
- other resources
The California Senior Gateway is sponsored by the Elder Financial Abuse Interagency Roundtable (E-FAIR) and hosted by the California Department of Insurance.
- Services By County
- Programs & Services
- Where To Call For Local Services
- Additional Resources
- California Health and Human Services Agency
- Contact CDA
- Contact HICAP at 1-800-434-0222 or use our list of counties
- Basic Medicare coverage
- Choosing a prescription drug plan
- How to become a HICAP counselor
- Finding a speaker to talk about Medicare
- Making an appointment to discuss long-term care insurance
- Reporting Medicare fraud and abuse
- Switching from a Medicare Advantage Plan to Original Medicare
- My Medicare Advantage plan
- Finding a doctor who is part of my CalMediConnect plan
- Programs offered by the Department of Aging
- Help for someone who doesn’t live in California
California HICAP is part of a national network of State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (SHIP). SHIP is a Federal Administration for Community Living (ACL) grant program that helps states enhance and support a network of local programs, staff, and volunteers. HICAP is supported by the California Department of Aging with financial assistance through a grant from the Administration for Community Living.