Welcome to the California Department of Aging
The California Department of Aging (CDA) administers programs that serve older adults, adults with disabilities, family caregivers, and residents in long-term care facilities throughout the State. The Department administers funds allocated under the federal Older Americans Act , the Older Californians Act, and through the Medi-Cal program.
The Department contracts with the network of Area Agencies on Aging, who directly manage a wide array of federal and state-funded services that help older adults find employment; support older and disabled individuals to live as independently as possible in the community; promote healthy aging and community involvement; and assist family members in their vital care giving role. CDA also contracts directly with agencies that operate the Multipurpose Senior Services Program through the Medi-Cal home and community-based waiver for the elderly, and certifies Adult Day Health Care centers for the Medi-Cal program.
The Department's mission is to promote the independence and well-being of older adults, adults with disabilities, and families through
- Access to information and services to improve the quality of their lives;
- Opportunities for community involvement;
- Support for family members providing care; and
- Collaboration with other state and local agencies.
The opportunity for every Californian to enjoy wellness, longevity and quality-of-life choices within strong, healthy communities.
CDA Core Values
The Department strives to accomplish its Mission in a manner consistent with its Core Values outlined below.
- Leadership: We set the direction for ensuring that strategies, systems, and methods for achieving excellence are created; and for building the knowledge and capabilities of our employees and others who work with our customers.
- Diversity: We work in an inclusive environment that respects the rights of all people, their equal opportunity to succeed, and the contributions they make toward accomplishing our Mission.
- Advocacy: We speak in support of individuals and issues that promote the overall well-being of our customers.
- Accountability: We assume responsibility individually, and in teams for our behaviors, actions, and results and for serving our customers in the manner in which they want to be served.
- Quality: Our performance demonstrates a commitment to, and recognition of, excellence, which is the balance of efficiency and effectiveness.
- Innovation: We take initiative by being open and receptive to experimenting with new and creative ideas.
- Collaboration: We foster partnerships and cooperation with our stakeholders, business partners, and customers in planning, delivering, and evaluating programs and services.
- Integrity: We are open, honest, trustworthy, and professional in the performance of our duties and in our dealings with our customers, business partners, and stakeholders.
- Empowerment: We enable individuals to make informed choices that can enrich their lives and support their ability to effectively participate in their communities.
- Respect: We hold our stakeholders, business partners, and customers in the highest esteem, and show due consideration and appreciation in our interactions for their ideas, programs, and services.