Nutrition services provide a vital link in maintaining the health of older Californians by preventing premature institutionalization and improving their overall quality of life. The California Department of Aging administers nutrition services funded by the federal Older Americans Act and state general fund dollars through the network of Area Agencies on Aging and their service providers. They serve Californians 60 years of age or older, with preference given to those in greatest economic or social need and to low-income multi-ethnic individuals. Participants are provided an opportunity to contribute to the cost of the meal. Meals must meet nutritional standards by providing a minimum of one-third of the Dietary Reference Intake (DRI).
- Title III C-1: Congregate Nutrition Services provide meals in a group setting. Services also include nutrition and health promotion education, and opportunities for socialization. People eligible for Title III C-1 nutrition services are 60 years of age or older, individuals with a handicap or disability who meet specific criteria, spouses of eligible participants regardless of age, and volunteers who provide needed services during meal hours. Project facilities and operations conform to health and safety standards and provide safe, wholesome and nutritious meal services to our older clients.
- Title III C-2: Home Delivered Meal Services are available to people, age 60 or older, who are homebound by reason of illness, incapacity, or disability, or who are otherwise isolated. Because homebound meal recipients are typically older and more frail, they are usually referred to the program by a hospital, a family member, or other referral service. Most home-delivered meal programs provide their clients with a hot meal five days a week delivered by staff or volunteer drivers. In addition, nutrition education is provided.
Nutrition Related Links
- U.S. Dietary Guidelines 2010
- Interactive Health Eating Index
- Food Safety
- USDA MyPlate
- Ethnic/Cultural Food Pyramids
Health Promotion Related Links
Other Nutrition, Health Promotion and Food Safety Links
- National Agriculture Library
- Mayo Health Organization
- US Department of Agriculture
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- FDA Consumer